Are you looking for a handmade Barn Owl Nesting Box? This box was made with Barn Owls in mind. Several of our safety features are included when designing this box.
- MADE IN INDIANA: The Barn Owl box is manufactured in the USA by JCS Wildlife. Great for rodent control.
- NATURAL FINISH TO PROTECT FROM ELEMENTS: Outside is treated with Linseed oil to protect wood from elements. Wood is exterior grade plywood and is ready for outdoor exposure.
- DIMENSIONS: The entrance hole is elliptical measuring 3 ¾” and 4 1/2" with 4 grip grooves below to aid in owl entry. Dimensions: on box are 23 ¾" long, 12 ¼" wide, and 16 ½" tall (roof overhangs box by 2 ¼” in front)
- EASY INSTALLATION: Come pre-assembled and includes drain holes in the bottom and holes under the roof overhang allowing for air circulation. A hanging strip on the backside of the box allows for easy installation (recommended placement is 12'-20' high)
- TAILORED TO OWLS: Modeled after the design of owl expert Steve Simmons, this box meets the specific needs of the Barn Owl.
The entrance hole is elliptical in shape to provide protection from predators including raccoons and Great Horned Owls. Additionally, there is an interior divider separating the box into two compartments. Should a predator be able to reach into the box, they will be unable to reach the owl or owlets on the other side of the divider.
The entrance hole is also placed in consideration of young owlets in order to prevent them from being pushed out of the box by others behind them – especially as they all seek to be fed first.
Special "grip" grooves on the front of the box underneath the entrance hole helps the adult owl gain access to the box. No perches exist outside of the box as they could provide convenient perches for predators or for young owlets, thus exposing them to predators.
A door on the end of the box allows for easy access to the interior - making clean out a simple and quick task. This also provides easy access to mount a wildlife camera in the box, so you can enjoy viewing your own young owlets during their growth process.
This box design has proven very successful in attracting and providing homes to thousands of owls. Ranchers, farmers, and vineyards have found these useful for their own natural pest control.
**Dimensions on box are 23 ¾" long, 12 ¼" wide, and 16 ½” tall (roof overhangs box by 2 ¼" in front).**
Nesting Material Although Barn Owls can and will find their own nesting material a bag of pine shavings is included with your Barn Owl Nesting Box. Scattering some on the floor of the box when mounting will make the Box more appealing to the owl. If you need to replace the nesting material, pine shavings are the safest option.
**Cedar should not be used as the dust and fumes have been known to irritate young owls.**
Natural Finish: The box has been treated with natural linseed oil on the exterior to help protect the wood.
**No paint or varnish should be applied to the interior. Use of these finishes on the interior of the Box could deter Barn Owls from nesting.**
Where Should I Put My Box? Barn owls generally prefer open fields and meadows with a plentiful supply of small animals. The owl generally eats voles, deer mice, house mice, field mice, gophers, and small birds, so the box should be placed where there will be a steady diet of these.
For example, on farms with cropland bordered by trees, small animals will be in the area between the tree line and the crop line. Placing boxes in this area will attract the owls hunting there.
||23.5" W X 16.5" H X 14.5" D
||22.5" W X 15.5" H X 10.5" D
||3 ¾”" X 4 ½”
||Exterior Grade Plywood
|Hole Height Above Floor
|Birds That Would Use This Nesting Box